Friday, March 29, 2013

Honey Nut GMO's


There has been a lot of buzz in the news recently regarding marriage equality for same sex couples.  And while I believe the landmark decisions made out of this very high profile case will have a tremendous impact in our history, there was something else going on right in front of our faces. 
President Obama signed H.R. 933
  

*clears throat* I was the blue bubble.  Well not really, but I had no clue what the Monsanto Protection Act was, and I didn't know that it happened until folks on my FB timeline were discussing it.  The bill was introduced to the House on March 4th, and even with a petition with over 250,000 signatures demanding more research on the effects of GMO,  it was made into law on the 26th of March.  

Read More About The Act

I try my best to protect my kids and husband from the "evils" of processed food, and when I heard of GMO's a while back, I tried to stay clear of that as well, but the truth of the matter is, I didn't know how to effectively protect myself from the GMO monster.  I had no clue where exactly he was hiding.  I wasn't sure if he was a brightly colored, tap dancing monster, or if he was like a creepy ghost.  Came to find out GMO is a little of both.

You can't protect yourself from things you don't know exist.  So now I am back to the drawing board, ensuring that the majority of what we eat is organic and GMO-free.  I give major props to my girl, Tanya, who is really trying to start a revolution.  Because it's easy for me to switch and buy the good stuff so easily, but for those in poorer neighborhoods where those options aren't easily attainable, it's extremely hard.  Tanya recognizes that, she understands it because she is living testimony of the food inequality going on in her own community.  A pack of hotdogs cost 99cents, but a piece of lean organic chicken can run you $8.00. It's not fair, it's not right, and it shouldn't be tolerated.  Tanya is doing something about it....she's not just talking the talk, my girl is walking the walk too!! Support her efforts and possibly be inspired to not only donate to her cause, but to also duplicate her efforts in other communities.

Support the Veggie Mobile Market

My kids and I are starting a veggie garden in the back.  Now I have a certified black thumb when it comes to horticulture.  I've tried everything.  My mother in law on the other hand can take the corn kernel stuck in the back of your tooth, plant that joker and have a full garden by the end of the harvesting season.  I am pretty sure that if my garden flourishes the way I want it to, that I will have more than my share of produce, and I will commit to selling or donating to those that find it hard to obtain in their community.  

I'll post pictures of my garden.  If the pics suddenly stop, that means I wanted to spare you countless pictures of dirt (because my crops didn't grow).

Please share this post with others.  Not for me, but to share the efforts of Tanya!!  And thanks to those on my timeline who keep me in the loop.  I don't claim to know it all, but I am grateful for the folks I surround myself around who push this knowledge in my face.  

Check out this video:  



~EITB  













No comments:

Post a Comment

Like What You Read? Please leave a comment.